‘Tis the season for all things pumpkin pie, and with Thanksgiving around the corner, you may be preparing your holiday menu. While Thanksgiving is a time to enjoy good food with good company, there are so many delicious ways you can enjoy this holiday without the sugar overload.
We’ve come up with a healthier alternative to the traditional Thanksgiving pie that happens to be gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free and free of refined sugar. Made with Hail Merry’s low-sugar Sweet Potato Pie Cups and coconut candied pecans, you’ll have mini pecan pies ready in no time, without all the baking fuss or sugary ingredients!
Pro Tip: Add a dollop of vanilla maple coconut whipped cream, and you'll have a bite-sized dessert your guests will be requesting year after year!
Before making your mini Sweet Potato Pecan Pies, consider having these ingredients on hand:
- Maple Sugar
- Full-fat coconut milk
- Pumpkin pie seasoning
- Coconut sugar
Mini Sweet Potato Pecan Pies:
- Hail Merry Sweet Potato Pie Cups
- 1 tbsp filtered water
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup halved pecans or pecan pieces
- Sprinkle of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- *Maple vanilla coconut whipped cream for topping (optional)
- Start by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Next, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the water and coconut sugar and stir well.
- Add the pecan pieces and stir to coat well.
- Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the candied pecans to the lined baking sheet and spread evenly. Sprinkle with cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice if desired. Allow the pecans to sit for 30-60 minutes.
- Once hardened, add the candied pecans on top of each Hail Merry Sweet Potato Pie Cup.
- Top with maple vanilla coconut whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice if desired.
Maple Vanilla Coconut Whipped Cream (Dairy-Free):
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk (chilled overnight)
- 2 Tbsp. maple sugar
- ½ tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- Chill the canned coconut in the fridge overnight.
- When chilled, scoop the coconut cream into a mixing bowl, reserving the coconut water liquid for other recipes or smoothies.
- Add the maple sugar and vanilla, and using a hand-held mixer, whip the coconut cream and vanilla until a whipped cream-like consistency is reached.
- Chill in the fridge until ready to use.
These simple yet festive pies will have you celebrating the holiday season with all the flavors you love, minus the sugary ingredients you don’t.
If you give this recipe a try, don't forget to share your creations with us on social by tagging @hailmerrysnacks and using #ThanksLIVING.