Monster Spooky Tart
Boo! Halloween is here, and so is all the sugar. One could argue that it’s one of the “sweetest” times of the year — you can’t go to the grocery store without seeing shelves lined with Halloween treats. And, while these treats are seasonally cute, the ingredient lists are sure to give you a fright! Traditional Halloween candy is often loaded with artificial flavors, dyes, and of course, sugar.
But it’s not all doom and gloom! Enjoying Halloween with a healthy twist is possible. Swap out artificial, sugar-loaded Halloween candy with better-for-you options like these simple Monster Spooky Tarts.
*Better For You Recommended Ingredients
Before diving into the recipes, you’ll see an asterisk next to certain ingredients listed in each recipe. Refer to this list for a healthier recommendation. Using these recommended ingredients will help you avoid those yucky artificial colors and flavors commonly found in store-bought Halloween candy!
- 1 Hail Merry Tart of choice (we used Hail Merry’s Chocolate Almond Butter Tarts)
- *Vegan white chocolate chips
- *Natural food dye: Blue, green, and red
- Icing piping bag (Small piping bag tip is optional. You can also just cut a small tip off the bag)
- Edible googley eyes
- Start by adding about ¼ cup of the vegan white chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for 15 seconds. Remove and stir, adding back to the microwave and microwaving for 10-second increments until completely melted. Set aside.
- Next, make your natural back food dye by mixing equal parts of the blue, green, and red food dye to a mixing bowl (start with just a few drops of each) and mix well. You may have to adjust the color by adding a drop of each color at one time and stirring until your desired shade of black is reached.
- Add a small amount of the black food dye to the melted white chocolate and then add to the piping bag.
- Using the piping bag, create a mouth and add two dots for the eyes. Stick the edible googley eyes over the two dots.
- Enjoy right away or store in the fridge until ready to eat!
If you give these treats a try, don't forget to share your creations with us on social by tagging @hailmerrysnacks and using #cleanhalloween.